Welcome to my Blog. I hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoy taking them!

All photos on this blog are for your personal viewing pleasure. They are copyrighted with all rights reserved. These images may not be used without express written permission.

Thanks for Dropping By and Have a Great Day, :)
Tom


Saturday, May 19, 2012

HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK

A large dark bird came out of nowhere. He was on me before I knew what was happening and I had no idea if it was a Crow, Vulture or what. It was just big and black. After watching it for a couple of seconds it appeared to be a dark Hawk heading toward a utility pole



He lit on the utility pole next to an Eastern Red-tailed Hawk and it was apparent he was a Hawk. There was a notable contrast between the two.



Moments later 'Blackie' lifted off from the utility pole and sailed off. The white speckles on the top of his wings gave away his ID.



The underside of his wings came into view as he circled overhead and there was no doubt this Raptor was indeed a Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk.



He continued banking while looking down as he headed out. I don't see the fairly uncommon Harlan's Red-taile Hawk often however it is always a pleasure to run across one and get some photos to share with others.


Photos taken in SW Louisiana

Thanks for looking, :)
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment