Welcome to my Blog. I hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoy taking them!

All photos on this blog are for your personal viewing pleasure. They are copyrighted with all rights reserved. These images may not be used without express written permission.

Thanks for Dropping By and Have a Great Day, :)
Tom


Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Return of the Cave Swallows

A smile came to my face as we were greeted by some familiar faces this afternoon when my Son-in-Law and I checked to see if the Cave Swallows made it back to their haunt on Gum Island Road in Calcasieu Parish. We were rewarded seeing their friendly yellow faces, dark blue crowns and square tails as they rocketed by. Their dazzling display of aerial acrobatics with no flight path hadn't changed from the previous year. Hopefully they will raise fine families and add to the increasing population of Cave Swallows in Louisiana.

No bats were nesting with the Cave Swallows underneath the bridge, only Barn Swallows. :)

The colony is located on Gum Island Road underneath the first bridge approximately 1/4 mile to the west of the intersection of Hwy 108 and Gum Island Road. This is close to the Vinton Exit off of I-10. They are easy to spot and fly as soon as you get out of your car. I usually observe them for a couple of minutes then leave in order not to stress them.


A Dickcissel was singing away in some brush alongside the road. These guys redefine the word persistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment