Welcome to my Blog. I hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoy taking them!

All photos on this blog are for your personal viewing pleasure. They are copyrighted with all rights reserved. These images may not be used without express written permission.

Thanks for Dropping By and Have a Great Day, :)
Tom


Monday, March 29, 2010

Yellow Rail

A 'Rail Walk' was hosted not far from my house in Anahuac Refuge, Texas this weekend. Anyone who wishes to participate just shows up. The participants walk close together combing the salt marsh/prairie habitat hoping to flush one of the five species of rails. We flushed two Yellow Rails and a Clapper Rail (which landed a foot away from me) during the walk. I was one of only a few who had seen Yellow Rails thanks to the 'Yellow Rail / Rice Fest' held in Thornwell last year.

My hopes were high to see the elusive, recluse, rare Black Rail which has been seen on walks in previous years. No dice today but it was certainly fun trying.

There are four days of rail walks left. If you are interested, go to http://www.friendsofanahuacnwr.org/ and click on Yellow Rail Walks for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment