Welcome to my Blog. I hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoy taking them!

All photos on this blog are for your personal viewing pleasure. They are copyrighted with all rights reserved. These images may not be used without express written permission.

Thanks for Dropping By and Have a Great Day, :)
Tom


Friday, December 31, 2010

Stranger Danger

Some movement caught my eye while observing shorebirds on the beach. Three Black Skimmer Chicks were scurrying about. "How cute!", I thought.

The chicks spotted me as I eased a bit closer, immediately hit the dirt (sand) and froze. Their cryptic resemblance with the sandy beach enabled them to blend perfectly with their surroundings.

One of the chicks lay flat in the sand facing me. A second chick lay sideways to me. A third chick was tail to tail with the second chick facing away with his head in the grass. They watched my every move as they lay motionless in their 'survival mode'.

Using my long lens I was able to capture their exquisite behavior from a distance. After retreating but a short way, they rose to their feet, scurried into the grassy area and disappeared from sight.

It was a treat capturing this experience to share with others. It is not as good as experiencing it yourself but it is the next best thing. I hope you enjoy this image as much as I enjoyed taking it. I put a bit of an 'artsy' twist on this image and hope you like it.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting observation!

    I would love to see the original photo sans the cool "artsy" effect.

    Thanks for sharing = )

    ReplyDelete