Welcome to my Blog. I hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoy taking them!

All photos on this blog are for your personal viewing pleasure. They are copyrighted with all rights reserved. These images may not be used without express written permission.

Thanks for Dropping By and Have a Great Day, :)
Tom


Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Juvenile Red-Headed Woodpecker

Left-Click to Enlarge

I've been on a mission to secure a photo of this Woodpecker with the black/dark brown head for a few weeks. I finally got a break today when it showed up and was in camera range.

I had no idea of this Woodpecker's ID with the dark head a few weeks ago until looking at Peterson's Field Guide. Then it all made sense.


Patience prevailed when it finally returned and was close enough for a picture.


You can see a touch of brown streaking on this juvi's breast. It is also beginning to molt into adult plumage as you can see by the touch of red beginning to form around its eye.


A Red-Headed Woodpecker is always a pleasure to see. Especially a Juvenile as it is a first for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment